Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Talkin' 'Bout My Generation...




























gen .er. a. tion ( noun )

According to Miriam Websters dictionary  a geneartion is   a body of living beings constituting a single step in the line of descent from an ancestor.

 I  often find my mind drifting to another time .. wondering once again where my roots are .... where did I come from ( I know for all of you wise-cracks out there ... from my mothers womb ...) but don't you ever wonder what it would be like to have a conversation with your great great great ....  I pull from my deepest memories sometimes to grasp on to the recollection of spending time with my Granny Carroll ... She was my fraternal  great great grandmother . I can barely remember now her home in Maryland but what I do remember was her huge hugs - burrying me in her bossom with her  white apron on ... She was quite the lady - certainly not too affectionate but definitely full of love ... a hard working , strong woman but gentle and kind... I remember the way her eyes twinkled when she would smile ... and I remember  ever so slighlty her immaculate home - wide porches and a fabulous winding staircase leading into a big entry parlor.  I remember being very small and in that very house when the Nixon scandal was ground breaking news... and I remember her cellar and the fish pond in her yard. .. I have always wished I could have spent more time with her sitting on her porch and hearing stories of her childhood ... I'd love more time  with my grandfather ... pictured here ..  I was his only grandchild and he treated me like a princess ... he was always patient ( probably due to a little help from his afternoon martini ) and always so proud to show me off to his friends ...  So when I received this old photo the other day those fond ole' memories flooded back and my heart smiled... Thanks for lifes lessons , thanks for your love, and ... thanks for the memories !  I love you still ....

No comments:

Post a Comment